The chapel, now known as the Blackburn Chapel, was built in the 16th century by extending the south aisle. The stonework of the original south aisle east window was probably re-sed to form the Chapel south window. The tomestone of Elizabeth Blackburn of the adjacent Blackburn Hall, who died 1688/9, aged 23, is in the floor here.
The south aisle was extended eastwards in the 16th century to form a Chantry chapel which is now called the Blackburn Chapel.
This window contains bits of medieval glass. The golden colour is 'silver stain'. The next photographs show parts of this window in more detail. Not shown are a corbel on either side of the window, presumably a statue of Mary or saints originally stood on either side.
Centre detail on Blackburn Chapel East window. Fragments of old glass have been assembled to make this figure. However, the tip of the spear held by St. George below has been placed to the left of the figure's mouth!
The 1st and 2nd panes of the Chapel east window.
The 4th and 5th panes of the Chapel east window.
Blackburn Chapel piscina. This small badly damaged piscina is on the Chapel's south wall. A piscina is a small bowl so the the water used for washing the communion vessels may be drained to the earth. The water, having been blessed, is never put down a drain.
Blackburn Chapel south window. The stonework of this window is much older than the Chapel. Probably it was originally the east window of the south aisle before the 16th century extension. The glass is 1895 and in memory of John Garth of Knareborough who dies 14th August 1848.
The squint window gives a view from the outside of the priest blessing the water & wine and holding it up for all to see. In medieval times lepers (& others with various skin diseases) weren't allowed into church. Seeing the raised bread & wine was the most important part of the Service. The extension to build this chapel was wider than the rest of the older south aisle as may be seen here.
The view from Blackburn Chapel altar through the screen. On the left is the priest's door and the squint window is seen in the centre.
|Information - All items|
|Weather and river levels|
|Grinton Parish Council|
|Melbecks Parish Council|
|Reeth Parish Council|
|Reeth Gazette archive|
|What's on? - All entries|
|Reeth Memorial Hall Events|
|Places - All entries|
|Churches and Chapels|
|St Andrew's Church|
|Grinton Conservation Project|
|Herbert Norris' shop|
|Grinton Corn Mill|
|Grinton Youth Hostel|
|St. Andrew's Church, Grinton links|
|Tour of St. Andrew's Church|
|St. Andrew's Church Memorials|
|Grinton War Memorials|
|Grinton Church history|
|Photo external links|
|Walk along the riverpath from Grinton|
|Grinton Marrick Circular Walk|
|Flooding near Grinton|
|Skies over Swaledale|
|Reeth in the snow|
|Tim Mason archive|
|The Millennium in Grinton|
|Jubilee 2002 including Corpse Way enactment|