In this photograph taken before the Victorian restoration completed in 1896, the pulpit is attached to the Norman Chancel arch. During the restoration the pulpit was moved to the left. To enable this, the Peacock monument was moved to the North aisle. Behind it was discovered the doorway to the rood screen.
The fine pulpit is 17th century Jacobean, beneath the misleadingly dated 1718 sounding board which is later. As may be seen in the next slide, the pulpit was originally 1 metre (3 feet) to the right on the Norman pillar of the Chancel arch. To fit the pulpit in this earlier position the Norman pillar was badly hacked about. The rood screen doorway, seen on the upper left, was discovered during the 1896 restoration. It was covered by the Thomas Peacock memorial which was moved to the North aisle at this time.
The font is Norman, but much of the base dates from the 1896 restoration. It is said that this original Norman font was dug up either from the church grounds or from under the floor during the 1896 restoration. This original plain font had been replaced centuries ago and, because of the 9-sided font canopy, it is assumed that the font was also 9-sided. Such a shape is very unusual. The splendid oak font cover is modern, made by Reeth craftsman Philip Bastow.
The round arched Norman window is one of the few remaining parts of the 12th century church. It was a window to let in light but the tower, first built in the late 12th century, blocked it. Originally this Norman window was longer, but it was shortened to make the archway into the tower Above the Norman font is a 15th century font canopy. It is unusual in being 9 sided. Presumably the previous 15th C font also had 9 sides. The canopy is very similar to those in Ripon Cathedral and may have been made by the same people. Though now fixed, originally it could be raised & lowered and one of the pulleys may still be seen in the roof. Fonts used to be covered because it was common to bless the water on Easter Eve and keep it there, but people tried to take the water believing it had 'magical' properties.
The plaque commemorating the completion of the restoration of the church in 1896.
This pulley block is high in the roof near the Chancel arch. It is believed to have carried a trendle, an iron hoop carrying candles, which illuminated the figures on the rood screen across the Chancel arch.
The area for children.
The area set aside for prayer.
A candle may be lit and prayers left on the red board will be included in the next Service.
A fine simple medieval lectern.
It has been suggested that this may have originated at Bridlington Priory (though there is no definite evidence to support this).
The chained volume in the glass case contains a Bible commentary by "William Burkitt, late Vicar and Lecturer of Dedham, Essex."
The inscription on the fly-sheet reads: "For the Use of the Inhabitants of the Parish of Grinton. To be read at any time, especially before Divine Service begins. 1752." This much thumbed volume required rebinding in 1864. It is the 12th edition.
The eagle lectern
The model showing the Good Friday scene.
|Information - All items|
|Weather and river levels|
|Grinton Parish Council|
|Melbecks Parish Council|
|Reeth Parish Council|
|Reeth Gazette archive|
|What's on? - All entries|
|Reeth Memorial Hall Events|
|Places - All entries|
|Churches and Chapels|
|St Andrew's Church|
|Grinton Conservation Project|
|Herbert Norris' shop|
|Grinton Corn Mill|
|Grinton Youth Hostel|
|St. Andrew's Church, Grinton links|
|Tour of St. Andrew's Church|
|St. Andrew's Church Memorials|
|Grinton War Memorials|
|Grinton Church history|
|Photo external links|
|Walk along the riverpath from Grinton|
|Grinton Marrick Circular Walk|
|Flooding near Grinton|
|Skies over Swaledale|
|Reeth in the snow|
|Tim Mason archive|
|The Millennium in Grinton|
|Jubilee 2002 including Corpse Way enactment|